A year and a bit since I stopped blogging, I stopped for many reasons, but it would seem they were minor compared to what I was going to go through in the last year.
For now I will keep it brief (yeah ok i heard your snort there, knowing i don't ever keep it brief), a few weeks after my last post we headed to Cornwall, the fella and the kids, we had an amazing week, really amazing. The sun shone, we played in the sea, we met up with online friends in the flesh, friends that have proved to be my rock this year.
The journey home was worrying, dozens of missed calls and voicemails from my dad asking to let him know when we'd be home, i'd dreaded this happening, our beloved cat was ill, so i'd been expecting the worst. How wrong was I, the worst i'd imagined was a walk in the park compared to the news that greeted us.
Mum had leukemia! Yep, my mum, the woman that I didn't think anything would ever beat. Well the leukemia beat her, 3 months from diagnosis she died. In those 3 months, we had to make the decision to have the cat put to sleep and my fella dumped me. In my mums words 'it's shit' in my words 'it's fucking shitty bollocksy fuck!' it really was awful. My mates were amazing, the groups i help run were so bloody awesome, complete strangers sent me messages, cards and little gifts. My kids were amazingly strong and we're doing ok now ish. (another day i'll do another blog about those 3 months, because there's so much i want to share with you).
In the last year I also came up with the idea of a Home Education support website, the FB group is great, but the files section limits the information and layout, so a website was born, www.EducationalFreedom.org.uk Thanks to the amazing team we created it and went live in a matter of months, i put hundreds of hours into it, taking my mind off my mums health. The website has been an amazing success with Home Educators. Free information and support for all home edders (even the ones that don't like me are free to use the site). It's going from strength to strength and the team continue to work hard. (I'll do another post about Ed Free another day).
We ended 2013 with a diagnosis for my eldest, ASD was finally on paper! More specifically he has high functioning autism/aspergers, i've known this for years, but getting a doc to spend enough time observing him was difficult. We actually have in writing that because of my parenting and Home Educating, I made it more difficult to diagnose him as we'd worked on his social skills lots, so on the surface it made it harder to diagnose. A visit to home ed group and watching him not concentrating on his social skills they were able to see him in full swing. A diagnosis in their words 'was very easy'. Yeah easy for you love, it took 9 years ! So i'd like to just stick 2 fingers up at the ex head teacher who claimed he had ADHD and me being a single mum made him worse, i'd like to stick my middle finger up at the sister that thought it ok to call Social Services on me claiming i was making ASD up to cover bad parenting, in fact it was good parenting covering up the ASD!
So.... why am I blogging again? I dunno..... i guess I have a lot to say ...... and last time a lot of you enjoyed reading what i have to say...... and a few of you didn't so would run off complaining..... I'm back..... whether you like me or not :) ....... i've no idea what or how often ....... but i've a lot of stuff to tell you about..... a lot of stuff about to happen...... so watch this space.......
Feel free to leave me a comment....
I look forward to reading more
ReplyDeleteAmazing how many HFA kids parents are blamed with bad parenting rather than the professional do their jobs properly! Keep up the hard work and keep doing what you do well :-)
ReplyDeleteIt still amazes me how how parents get the blame with bad parenting in cases of HFA! Keep up the good work! X
ReplyDeleteGet blogging girl:)
ReplyDelete