A couple of months ago we finally got the appointment through to see the Clinical Psychologist, he is part of the Autism diagnostic team. I was hopeful but nervous, as I know Einstein doesn't sit still for long, I expected him to be wandering around the room, looking, reading, touching and then hassling me to hurry up. We arrived early, guy was running late, we waited more than half an hour, he was now bored, we entered the room and the guy demanded that Einstein sit on a specific chair (both chairs were the same (apart from colour) and were next to each other), he took an instant dislike to the chair and asked me if he had to, I was about to say no, when the doc said he had to, so I replied 'no you don't have to sit in that chair if you don't want to' doc scribbled something down. I knew this wasn't a good start.
I made sure he had his book and DS and drink, he then asked the doc how long we were going to be, the doc replied 'we will be done by 1', Einstein responded with 'how long will we be?' the doc looking very angry answered 'we will be done for 1'. He looked confused and looked at me, i checked the time and said it was 12.03. He took a second and replied 'ok, we will be 57 minutes then, that's a long time'. The doc scowled. I already didn't like him.
What pursued was mostly a waste of time, he wanted to know why the boys dad wasn't around, i told him it was none of his business and not something that had any effect on Autism. He then pressed to know the story of my princess's dad, by now I was really pissed off, I again told him it was none of his business. I know parental history can be important, but all this is on Einstein's file from previous appointments, but to ask about a child's absent father, with the child in the room, is not on, what would have happened if Einstein had never thought about his dad, didn't know his name etc?? Not on, not on at all!
Then came the dreaded 'which school does he go to', 'he doesn't', conversation. So it went like this:
'which school does he go to?'
'he doesn't'
'huh?'
'I home educate my chilldren'
'how does that work?'
'they don't go to school and learn at home'
'and what do the authorities think to that'
'nothing cos it's my legal right to educate them'
'how often do they send ofsted?'
'they don't'
'well who checks on you?'
'no-one'
'but who checks they are learning the curriculum'
'they don't learn the curriculum and I am responsible for making sure they learn what they need to'
'but...'
'it is the parents legal responsibility to ensure a child is educated, suitable to their age, ability, aptitude and suited to any special needs they have, the local authority have no duty to intervene'
'oh!'
I love putting twats like that in their place.
The doc kept referring to 'his problem behaviours' the 'things of most concern' I explained that nothing he did was a problem or a concern, he was just different, as is everyone around us, the doc said everything in such a negative way, and for a kid that is already struggling with his differences and still recovering from the hell caused at school and the way other adults and even family have treated him. He was depressed at age 6 because of a school, I wasn't going to let this doc knock his self confidence more. I reiterated that we didn't have problem behaviours, that he was perfect how he was and we weren't looking for therapy to change him, we just want a diagnosis, so he has the answer to what's going on in his head and also to aid with exams and college access. Doc scribbled again.
He asked very little to be honest, so I had to make sure he knew all the traits that I was aware of. Einstein was clearly bored as the doc had not engaged with him, beyond demanding which chair he sat on, then he started to bounce up and down gently on his chair, 'we won't be having any of that in here' the doc barked at him, he looked at me absolutely petrified so I pulled him close and he lay his head on my lap, I rubbed his head. 'Do you let him do that a lot?' he barked at me 'Yes I fucking do when dicks like you scare him' is what i wish i had replied, but instead I said 'yeah when he's overwhelmed or just wants a cuddle'. By now I was getting really pissed off and wondered whether for my son's sanity we should leave or not. We stayed and it got worse, Einstein sat back up and put his hand inside the waist band of his jeans, the doc shouted at him ' young man we won't be doing that in here'. I nearly cried, but knew we must be nearly done cos i had said everything I had wanted to. (yet we'd only been there 30 minutes). The doc said we were done and as we got up he noticed what the book was and asked my son if he liked chess, he looked at me as if to say, 'would I be carrying a book about chess around with me if I didn't like it?' He didn't reply to the doc. 'well can mum pick out the grammatical error on the front page, she's home schooling you so she should know' WTF???? I was ready to swing for him (plus i couldn't see an error) 'I responded that we had more fun things to learn about than being pedantic about grammatical errors'
The doc asked again about the school situation, I reminded him that it had been 3 years since he was in a school, but the doc was insistent on contacting the school. I told him I didn't see any point.
I can't remember how, but the doc started asking about idioms, Einstein said 'of course I know what one is' so the doc asked if Einstein knew what this idiom meant (I can't remember which example he used) 'no I don't cos they are stupid' (I really thought he was gonna add 'and so are you'). The doc said to me 'he hasn't engaged much at all, I expected him to talk to me more' I really wanted to say, 'be nice and he might' but i just said 'well he engages when he chooses to'. As we walked back to the car, he replayed the whole meeting, telling me bits I'd forgotten to say, the bits the doc had got wrong and it was clear (as i told the doc) that he had been listening and absorbing every word that was said.
When we got home I spoke to a couple of people and decided this guy was acting like he'd never met a kid on the spectrum before, he was out of line, so I rang the matron on the department and spoke to her, she agreed that he had not acted appropriately and would have a word with him, also that I could make an official complaint if I wished to. I made sure that she knew that under no circumstances was the doc to contact his old school.
That was the last we heard till last week, more than 2 months after the appointment, we get his report. Oh where to start?
His name is wrong more times than it is right!
It says I Home School, AGGGHHHHH!!! I Home Educate, there's no schooling involved.
It states that he has Occupational Therapy, that's wrong as it stopped years ago.
It says Einstein didn't track the conversation, erm yeah he did mate!
There are minor errors all over the place.
And, right at the end, this report is copied to SALT (speech and language therapy) and SCHOOL!!!! he has sent a copy of this report to his old school.
On a plus the report does say that he shows signs of being on the Autistic Spectrum and a referral to SALT for further assessment is made.
So from here?? I will be writing back demanding amendments be made to the report, I will be demanding an apology from the doc for the school being notified, I am now considering a formal complaint against him, his attitude was awful, but as he is the only Clinical Psych in the area, I know i have to tread carefully, cos we are likely to have to see him again, to get the diagnosis, but my baby has said he is not going back if he has to see him again, and I will respect that decision.
Wow.... I'd definitely consider a formal complaint.
ReplyDeleteWhat a rude, arrogant, compassion less, disrespectful man.
Chez, This guy sounds like he is on the autistic spectrum in a big way. Definitely unsympathetic to children and pretty all-round useless. Was he elderly? Sometimes the older generation seem to think they can bully younger people with impunity.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a rude, arrogant person. And obviously he doesn't know his job at all, and is useless with kids - completely out of touch with 'reality' - the sort of thing that went out with the stone-age I'd say! Kathx
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh a little at this, simply because it not only is like an exact description of a visit that I made to a doctors years ago when I first started HE, but the letter is almost exactly one I received years ago from SS to the point where I almost could have written this blog myself lol. Poor you and poor Einstein, what a twat excuse my language... but there is no other word strong enough for complete idiots like this... I wish I was better at putting people in their place like you, but assertive unfortunately evades me sometimes and I just turn into this jelly like mess. I am getting better though. People like this should simply not be allowed to work as doctors let alone Childrens' doctors!!! I hope all goes well and you most definitely get a sincere apology from him at the very least xxx
ReplyDelete