I am pig sick of people assuming because I home educate, it means my children are isolated. I bloody wish it was true sometimes, to be honest I wish I had installed revolving doors instead of a front door.
In the first school my boys went to, they had few friends, the couple that Einstein did have didn't play outside of school (apart from one and he was allowed to wander the streets aged 4, so I think that coming here was a comfort thing in the early days), the friends he did have weren't loyal, soon dumping him for a cooler group, one lad claiming to be his best friend actually slashed his cheek at a lunch break with his finger nails for trying to cuddle him. They were 6 years old !
He was depressed and constantly crying, he was being bullied by teachers and the head mistress, all refusing to acknowledge that he had SEN and they ignored the recommendations of the Ed Psych, these recommendations included letting him first or last in queues, to avoid him being overwhelmed as well as reminding him that he didn't need to be boss or win, his social skills were poor but with support he would enjoy playing with others. StuntMan was only tiny and in nursery, so didn't really have 'friends' but he played alongside others nicely.
I tried a new school for the boys, they made friends and were invited to parties and for tea, they would also come over to us. The 4 year old stray child was now older and spending a lot of time here through choice, he understood Einstein's quirks. But in school things were going down hill again, StuntMan wouldn't talk, when he joined in with games in the playground he was often pushed aside, Einstein was starting to have problems with staff again so I decided to home educate.
Now this is when you realise how bad school is for teaching children how to maintain a true friendship. Einstein left only wanting to see a couple of the kids again, StuntMan was pretty happy just to see one. No sooner had we started home educating we were involved with local families and would visit at least one family a week (or they would come to us) we were going on Home Ed outings with lots of other families, this soon extended to Home Ed play meets, where there are lots of children. The boys were old enough to play out on the street and were making friends with lots of children. Princess was now friends with the girls next door and next door but one. If there is ever an argument or an issue with home ed kids the parents help them resolve the issues. There is little if any bullying, the kids play with a mixture of ages and sexes. There's rarely a limit to how long they can play together. The friendships last longer and don't seem to break up over little things, there's always an adult on hand to help discuss any issues and help the kids figure things out. Princess has never witnessed playground politics and when I see it creeping in through the other kids I try to explain that they are all friends and that it doesn't matter if one likes Justin Bieber and the others don't.
The kids are now old enough to ring/text/facebook their friends to arrange get togethers and every day there are numerous knocks at the door. Some days I have to say no to anyone coming in, because it is so busy, I rarely get time with just my kids. They are all part of a club (or more than one) like cubs, rainbows, gymnastics or archery. They are friends with each other and friends of all ages. When we are out and about they will talk to people, I have taught them that it is ok to talk to strangers when they are with me, they often tell a shop assistant something about themselves or about home ed. They are comfortable talking with anyone and even have the confidence to ask for things in a shop if they can't find them. This is the boys that when they left school didn't speak to anyone other than close family and friends, they wouldn't have had the courage to approach a kid on the park and ask to kick a ball about with them.
Home Education doesn't mean sitting in the house 9-3 five days a week, we visit museums and other wonderful places, often stopping to talk to guides/staff. There aren't many days that we stay in all day and when we do it's to recover from being out and about so much. So if you started reading this with the image of children sat in silence to the dining table working all day, remove that image and fill it with one of 3 very happy children that have no issues playing with a 1 year old or a teenager, talking to their best mate or an old guy, having a quiet day at home or one filled with 20 other kids of all ages playing wonderful games together.
One of the things I love most about Home Ed. Whenever people say 'but what about the socialisation?' I always grin and say enthusiastically, 'Yes! That's one of the best benefits!' :)
ReplyDelete